The Whistler World Ski and Snowboard Festival features a variety of snow sport activities, shows and entertainment at the ski resort in April.
Whistler’s World Ski and Snowboard Festival
The World Ski and Snowboard Festival is one of Whistler’s biggest events. It began in the 1990s and since its inception the festival has been a hub of sports, art and music. Thousands of people attend the event to take in the slopes, the concerts and other fun activities on offer.
The festival usually takes place for up to a week or longer in April. Sadly, the festival was cancelled in 2020 due to the pandemic. It returned in 2021, but only in an online format. In 2022, the event was cancelled once again. Fortunately, the festival returns with in-person activities in 2023.
What to Expect
The festival is a multi-faceted series of events. There are ski and snowboard races you can watch on the mountains, displays and demonstrations set up by top gear manufacturers, short film and photography contests, and concerts in the Village or near other events. The best part is that there’s no admission fee to check out many parts of the festival! Some of the events do require tickets, but there are also plenty of free events to enjoy.
The 2023 festival runs from April 10th to 16th. This year, there are late night events on every day of the festival, including things like live music, celebrations and parties. Continue reading below for information about the main events.
The Festival’s Schedule
The 2023 event schedule is listed below. Exact details, however, are subject to change.
April 10th, 2023
- Après Yoga – yoga for skiers and snowboarders at the Westin Resort & Spa from 5:00 to 6:00 pm.
April 11th, 2023
- 72hr Filmmaker Showdown – a short film competition with a $5,000 grand prize at the Westin Resort & Spa starting at 8:00 pm. There’s also an after party at 10:00 pm at the Longhorn Saloon.
April 12th, 2023
- Sea to Sky Photo Challenge – a celebration of sports photography between 8:00 and 10:00 pm at the Westin Resort & Spa. The after party begins at 10:00 pm at the Longhorn Saloon.
April 13th, 2023
- Intersection – another film competition featuring films shot over 12 days. The event is held at the Westin Resort & Spa from 8:00 to 10:00 pm. The after party takes place at Garfinkel’s starting at 10:00 pm.
April 14th, 2023
- White Claw Vodka Patio Party – a party at the Longhorn Saloon from 2:00 to 7:30 pm featuring electronic dance music with SNBRN.
- Junk + DJ Praiz – festivities continue with more music at Garfinkel’s from 8:00 pm onward.
April 15th, 2023
- Saudan Couloir Ski Race Extreme – one of the steepest races in the entire world, this course drops around 2,500 feet in elevation over its run. The event runs from 11:00 am until 3:00 pm. There’s also an awards and after party at Après Après from 7:00 pm until late.
April 16th, 2023
- Slush Cup – open to all, after a ride down the slopes take on the challenge of traversing a slushy pond. Many people end up taking a freezing dip! The event runs from noon until 3:30 pm this year. Lastly, there’s also a Corona Tropical Tiki Beach Party at the Longhorn Saloon from 3:00 to 7:00 pm featuring music by DJ L D R U.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
To see what’s happening elsewhere in the Lower Mainland, check out the following articles on the Vancouversbestplaces.com website: