Whistler Blackcomb offers a range of activities in March, April and May including spring skiing, festivals and a multitude of other year-round activities.
Things to do in Spring in Whistler
Spring is one of the best times to visit the resort town of Whistler. The town is in its off season so many activities are discounted, as are the hotels. The place is also overall less busy as compared to the summer and winter months.
Weather varies in Whistler around the spring. Temperatures may go as low as 0 degrees and as high as the mid-20s. In 2019 when we visited Whistler during mid-April we were able to enjoy a full five days of sun and 20+ degree temperatures. However, the week following that was cold and rainy.
Some of the most popular things to do in Whistler in the spring time are listed below. Activities range from spring skiing to large festivals and more.
Spring Skiing and Multi-Sport Days
The ski season in Whistler generally runs quite late into the year. March is typically quite a snowy month. The season though usually extends into April and sometimes even May. While Spring Break for schools takes place in March and the hill gets quite busy during that time, the weeks following the holidays get much quieter on the ski slopes.
In 2019 spring skiing at Whistler ran until May 22nd. The season ended much earlier in 2020. That was due to COVID-19, though, not because of the weather and snow conditions.
The end of ski season often overlaps with the beginning of mountain bike season at Whistler. For example, in 2019, skiing ran until May 22nd while mountain biking began on May 15th. Folk often choose to do multi-sport days where they ski in the morning and finish up with mountain biking or other spring activities in the afternoon.
Whistler Spring Events
The spring season in Whistler features two large events in April and May. The World Ski and Snowboard Festival takes place in April and the Whistler Great Outdoors Festival happens in May. In March, however, there are also various St. Patrick’s Day activities.
The Whistler Ski and Snowboard Festival celebrates the town’s mountain culture and all things related to skiing and snowboarding. The festival runs for around 11 days in April and features a multitude of activities including competitions, après-ski and live music. In 2020 the festival was going to run from April 16th to 26th (but in the end it got cancelled due to the coronavirus pandemic).
The Whistler Great Outdoors Festival, or GO Fest, is all about the multitude of outdoor sports folk can do in Whistler. GO Fest usually takes place on the Victoria Day long weekend in May each year. Typical activities at the event include sports trials, workshops, art and live music. Related to the much larger All British Car Meet which takes place the day before in Vancouver, the Whistler All British Car Show takes place on the Sunday of the holiday weekend.
Many activities run in Whistler year-round. Some things do depend on where the snowline is but most run rain or shine. A sample of activities to do in Whistler in the spring time includes the following:
- Visit a spa – the Scandinave Spa is one of the most highly recommended activities in the Whistler area. Many hotels within the town offer spa services as well.
- Go ziplining – Superfly Ziplines offers year-round zipline tours through Whistler’s backcountry.
- Enjoy a hike – as the weather warms and the trails begin to open take a hike on one of Whistler’s many hiking trails.
- Take in some of Whistler’s history – some of our favourite places to visit include the Whistler Museum and the Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Centre.
- View some art – the Audain Art Museum is a popular modern art gallery in Whistler.
- Book a tee time – at one of Whistler’s three professionally designed golf courses.
- Explore some of Whistler’s parks and nature – the region is full of beautiful places to explore. For details see our article about Whistler Parks.
- Go snowmobiling – snowmobiling is a winter sport, but there is still snow on the ground at lower levels up until at least April. The Adventure Group offers Snowmobiling Tours most year up until around mid-April.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Attractions in Whistler
- Whistler Parks & Nature
- Winter Activities in Whistler
- Whistler Festivals & Events
Articles that might be of interest on the website vancouversbestplaces.com include the following:
- Lower Mainland Parks & Nature
- Vancouver’s March, April and May Calendars of Events
- Outdoor Recreation in the Lower Mainland
- Vancouver Rainy Day Activities